Monday, July 20, 2009

I Get My Wisdom From A&E

Tonight, after I clocked out (as in, B came home and I said, "the kids are fed and bathed, dinner is cooked, the kitchen is clean, and I AM FUCKING DONE), I shut myself in the bedroom with a half a bottle of Toscana and the second season of Mad Men. Good times, these are. I've had a bad day, a bad headache, lots and lots of bad. Frank McCourt died today--I LOVE Frank McCourt. Angela's Ashes never ceases to break my heart, whether it be the book or the film, and it saddens me that this man, this seemingly wonderful, amazing, strong man is just GONE. That seems to be a reoccurring theme for me this year.

As I was toasting Mr. McCourt and drowning my sorrows in the advertising world of Manhattan in the early 60's, one of the characters (Sterling, if anybody else is a fan) said one of the most profound things I've heard in a while. Non verbatim (but only pre-comma, after that it's a direct quote), it went a little something like this: Seize the day, because it's probably later than you think.

Brilliant Fucking Point.

We always think we have so much time. We have time to spend with our loved ones. Time to look for that new job that will finally make us happy. Time to buy a house. Take a vacation. Have a child. Visit a friend. Make ourselves better. But what if we don't? Not to rain on anyone's parade, but what if it's later than we think? I know that this is no new idea, that it's been worded many ways before, but I like this one best. Because with these fragile lives of ours, you just never know how late it really is. Or how soon too late will come.

No comments: