Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

A few days ago my cousin Hillary tagged me in a photo on Facebook. It wasn't a real photo, it was a picture of an assortment of those little "Little Miss" and "Little Mr." people thingies who all have titles. The idea was that you tag people depending on which character they represent.

I was "The One That Always Swears."

Okay. So, yes, it's true. I swear a lot. I swear when I'm sober, when I'm drinking, when I trip over something and fall down, when I drop my insulin pump in the toilet, when angry little Asian men give me the incorrect change at snack stands in D.C.--so, pretty much all the time. It's part of who I am. I don't do it to look cool. I don't do it to make a point. I just do it because I don't even realize I'm doing it most of the time. Just like how I bite down on my tongue at the corner of my mouth when I'm concentrating really hard on something.

But it made me start to wonder how other people see me, and how accurate those visions may be. How do the views of other people compare to the views I have to myself?

I'll have to think about that and get back to you. Please feel free to offer any views you may have (be brutal--I can take it).

1 comment:

vanilla said...

Are you trying to say this made you feel bad about yourself?

I see nothing wrong with swearing and possibly swearing all the time. Once I finally started swearing there was no stopping me. AND my favorite swear word became FUCK. How do you like that for a goody two shoes who went away to a private christian college to come back home to mommy and daddy spouting out the fuck word?

You are who you are and I feel you would not be a decent person if you were not you.

Hmm, how many times can I say "you" in a sentence?

How is that for a spazzy comment at the end of my comment?