Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Luck of the Irish

INCREDIBLY INTERESTING THINGS REGARDING ST. PATRICK'S DAY AND MYSELF, MOST LIKELY NONE OF WHICH THE WORLD AT LARGE HAS ANY INTEREST IN KNOWING:

1. Sutton was conceived on St. Patrick's Day, 2005. I know this because Blaker and I were "interrupted" by a phone call from a very intoxicated relative (who will remain unnamed) who was on the lam and wanted to come to our house. We were forced to take an intermission to put clean sheets on the guest bed before finishing the show. The intoxicated relative never showed up. However, the night was clearly not in vain as we are rather fond of Sutt and glad that we conceived him.

2. Blaker and I used to live near Savannah, Georgia, which has a humongous St. Patrick's Day celebration and parade every year. We never attended. I do not like crowds. Also, Blaker used to live in Boston, which also has a humongous St. Patrick's Day celebration every year. I do not know if he ever attended or not.

3. Tonight I am making corn bread to go with our soup for dinner. I have dyed it green.

4. My husband's family is Scottish. My father's family is of Scottish and Irish descent. My Mother's family is from the Isle of Man. I have been drinking vodka, which is NOT an Irish drink, but rather one of Russian origin, I believe.

5. I do not particularly care for Guinness. However, if it is Guinness or nothing, I will go with the Guinness. And I do like a good Black and Tan.

6. I purposely do not wear green on St. Patrick's Day because I am A REBEL. A REBEL, I SAY.

7. My family used to have the best dog ever, named Gus. Gus was a wire-haired Jack Russell Terrier who was white with a brown head and one brown ear. I adored him, as did the rest of the family. When Zach and I were bored, we used to put Gus in the bathtub and dye him different colors. I believe at one time, we dyed him green for St. Patrick's Day. However, the vodka might have created this memory for me. I know for a fact that he was blue with pink polka-dots at one time, though. (RIP Gus--Thanksgiving 1995-Labor Day, 2005). (*On a side note, my Mom wants to dig up Gus's remains and freeze his DNA, then have him and my Dad cloned one day. Since my Dad was cremated, I'm not entirely sure this is possible, but I hate to burst her bubble.)

I wonder what happens when you dye vodka green....perhaps I will try it and see.

No comments: