Friday, February 13, 2009

Take Another Little Piece of My Heart

It's Valentine's Day Eve and, just like the rest of 2009 has gone so far, things aren't turning out so well. For starters, Blaker left early this morning for sea trials. He'll be gone for four or five days, including tomorrow, and I have absolutely no contact with him while he's floating around the Atlantic on the George W.H. Bush aircraft carrier fixing anything that might break on the ship. So much for a romantic Valentine's Day. Not that it really matters. You know, it's funny--I totally dig Valentine's Day. I love all the pink and red, the balloons and flowers and candy and such, but I'm not really one of those people who gets into it beyond noticing and appreciating the aesthetics. I'm not a big romantic--cynicism seems to be more my niche.

I spent the day today at Bellamy's school, volunteering with the kindergarten class. They had a Valentine's Dance that I helped out with (which means I hung out in the gym and danced with a bunch of 5 and 6-year-olds while the sound system blared Beyonce' and Soulja Boy--yes, you DID hear that correctly). I also lent a hand at the ice cream social that followed, which involved giving all the kids huge bowls of ice cream which they then had the opportunity to decorate with gummy bears, sprinkles, two kinds of syrup, gumdrops, Reece's cups, nuts, and whipped cream, before we packed them up and sent them home, reeling from their sugar highs. It was a fun time. It also gave me excellent material for another list.

A RANDOM LIST OF ENTERTAINING THINGS I OVERHEARD AT BELLAMY'S SCHOOL WHILE HELPING A BUNCH OF KINDERGARTENERS OBTAIN A SUGAR-INDUCED COMA

1. " I KNOW we just went to the potty, but if I have more than, like, one spoonful of ice cream, I'm totally gonna have to poop."

2. "But my big sister says that's how you're SUPPOSED to dance when Soulja Boy comes on."

3. "That may be how you did things in Georgia, but up here, we don't do that to the gummy bears."

4. "I pick my nose a lot because that's how God made me."

5. "If anybody needs to know how to dance, you just come ask me. If you take ballet for, like, 200 years, you MIGHT learn to dance as good as I can."

The joys of being five again.

1 comment:

vanilla said...

Number 5 is my favortie..."Of you dance for 200 years..."