Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hello, my name is Procrastination

I am not usually a procrastinator. I do not like to waste time. I do things efficiently and deliberately and in a timely manner. But for whatever reason, these past few days, I just cannot seem to get myself to accomplish much of anything.

I'd like to blame it on the air conditioning, or lack thereof. On Friday afternoon at 4:58pm, our air conditioning unit died. Blaker immediately started calling repair shops only to find that they all closed at 5 for the weekend. Nobody would help us--even the 24-hour services said they only did weekend and after-hours calls for emergencies (like gas leaks). Early in the week this would not have been a problem with the crazy winds and temps in the upper 60's, but by Friday we were back to the 80's, with humidity. After talking to my Dad (who can fix anything), Blaker determined that it was the motor on the unit that had died and that he should be able to replace it himself. Only there was nowhere open to buy a motor over the weekend. Then, he picked one up yesterday, brought it home, and it did not fit. Needless to say, things have been kind of warm and sticky at my house.

Anyway, although I would LIKE to blame my lack of motivation on our unnaturally warm home, I don't really think that's the problem. I don't know exactly WHAT is causing me to be this way. Part of my brain is saying, "Oooh! It's almost Halloween! Let's decorate and make desserts shaped like brains and ghosts and such!" But I can't seem to get up and do it. That same part of my brain wants me to get around to ironing Bellamy's dresses that have been waiting in the laundry room for days, clean out the closet (it's a wreck), make a pile of things to donate to Goodwill, figure out what clothes the kids have outgrown and, consequently, what they need for Fall.

I kind of just want to take a nap.

No comments: